Thank you to all who made it to today’s miso making event at the Compost Education Centre! I had so much fun, and really enjoyed spending that time with you.
Here’s the leftover miso, packed into a 2 litre jar and headed for my basement.
Some useful links for you all:
- This is the recipe for the miso we made today
- This is the recipe for the almond miso, and a quick follow up to say it’s DELICIOUS!
- This is Fermenting Frenzy, a Facebook group for local fans of cultured foods
- This is the Art of Miso group, which is a source of unending inspiration
- Here is the website for Fujiya, the local Japanese grocery that sells koji (or kouji) rice in their freezer section
- Here is the website for GEM Cultures, which sells koji spores
- Here is the website for Cultures for Health, which also sells koji spores
Books I recommend:
- The Book of Miso by William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi
- Preserving the Japanese Way by Nancy Singleton Hachisu
- The Art of Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz
- Wild Fermentation by Sandor Ellix Katz
- The Joy of Pickling by Linda Ziedrich (not miso-making, but excellent instructions for making misozuke, vegetables pickled in miso!)